Wednesday November 18

Up at 0400 to catch the last of the ebb north. Not much wind so a day of motor sailing . We were in company with New Views and had decided to go through Port Klang and anchor off the lighthouse at the northern entrance of the port. Lots of shipping activity and we were chased in by a large container ship. We hugged the Starboard bank but were called up by Port Operations and politely asked to move to the Port side of the Selat. Motored past huge loading docks. depots and modern infrastructure on one side contrasting with low scrubby islands on the other.

Reached our anchorage about 1430, just as the tide turned in our favour and the afternoon sea breeze came in. We elected to continue and had a great sail for 4 hours averaging 9-10 kts with the tide assistance. At dusk we were still 10 Nm short of the next anchorage and radar was showing lots of small fishing boat activity so we motored a few Nm in toward the shore and dropped anchor in 6m about 3 Nm offshore. New Views joined us and we had a very calm comfortable night.

Thursday November 19.

Slept in and got going about 0730, motoring in glassy conditions. We had heard that Pangkor Marina was filling up rapidly so we were keen to secure a berth. If it was full then our Plan B was to anchor in one of the many lovely bays and the west side of Pangkor Island.

Passed this strange structure about 6Nm offshore. We thought maybe it is some kind of offshore resort. It had the name “Paradise” emblazoned on it. Weird!

Arrived at the marina and guided into a berth by staff. Bell and Ben from Ocean Jaywalker had arrived a bit earlier and helped us tie up. They came aboard for a beer and then we moved round to the bar for the start of a big night of beer and Pizza.

Friday November 20

Lea did a thorough deck scrub while I messed about doing other stuff. The Marina's electrical system was struggling to cope with all the boats. The voltage appeared to be dropping below 200V and our Airconditioners were tripping out. I got out the multimeter and after measuring the voltage coming aboard I recalibrated the AirCon units. This got them running a bit more than less but most of the time we settled fo just having the smaller bedroom unit running so that the voltage wasn't dragged down as much.

A swim at one of the nearby hotel pools was a welcome respite from the heat. We were supposed to have dinner with Ben and Bell but they were still suffering from last night so we took a rain check. We took the opportunity to catch up with Peter and Denise off Reverie which turned into dinner. Their whole jetty was having power problems and Reverie had no power at all. However, the marina team had it sorted by 2000 and their Aircon was back online.

Saturday November 21

Hired the marina shopping car for 40 Rm for the morning and headed into town for some fruit and veggies. Ben and Bell came with us in search of an Aircon unit and we were on the lookout for folding bikes. We tried the huge Giant Store but their bikes were rubbish. The huge Aeon Mall was excellent.

Afternoon swim was a struggle for laps due to kids and other crews but Lea managed 1km. The water was looking pretty murky so I didn't stay in long. I'm already fighting a low grade flu and don't want it to get worse.

Another big social night. Lea is now an accomplished beer drinker.

Sunday November 22

I went off on the organised shopping trip to local chandlers leaving Lea in peace for most of the day to enjoy reading and relaxing.

Monday November 23

Most of the Rally crews turned up for the Pangkor Island trip adding up to over 100 people.


From the ferry we picked a taxi minibus for an island tour. James from the marina was in charge and soon got every body under way.

First stop was the Dutch fort built to control and protect the tin trade.

Local hawkers were selling all the usual tourist stuff but at least these dried puffer fish were original.

Chinese Temple was set in beautiful grounds on the side of a hill.


Some stunning ceramic work with brightly coloured glazes.



Traditional Boat building. These boats are trawlers designed to drag huge nets. They launch the boat by knocking over all the supports on a high tide. All the fitting of Engines, pumps, refrigeration etc is done later. These boats are fitted with 5000 HP engines swing huge propellers. With their cut away sterns to reduce drag they are very different to the Indonesian boats we saw being built. Those had the prettier, longer flowing lines of a deep sea boat.

The timber was all massive hardwood, mainly sourced from Indonesia.

Next to the boat yard was a fish factory where all the small fry is dried and sorted.

Much of the sorting is still done by hand. They did have a sorting machine here as well but it seemed less productive than a man.

It was very hot and after checking out all the weird and wonderful merchandise at the dried fish shop we headed to othe side of the Island for lunch at a beach cafe.

The food was sensational with 10 courses and beer provided by James. A lazy afternoon on the beach followed with a swim before taking a taxi back to the ferry terminal.

Lea worked out the beer on a treadmill. Tried the local Chinese Restauant after a couple more beers with friends.