Saturday May 17

We weren't planning to leave until late afternoon as the wind was forecast to be nothing until 16:00pm However, Steve pulled out about 7.30 am and there was a nice gentle westerly blowing. We decided we may as well use the breeze rather than hang around the wharf getting more deisel soot on the boat from the fishing boats coming and going.

It was a good morning sail, close hauled keeping close to the shore to avoid the current.

Had a spectacular close encounter with a whale.

Caught and passed Steve inside Montague Island

Then the wind died for a while and the clouds caused some eerie light conditions.

The breeze was back in about 1600 as predicted and we were soon reaching along toward Jervis Bay. We were having a great sail in flat water and minimal current so we decided to keep going for the night and head for Port Hacking.

We were both kept busy on the night watches with constant sail changes between Genoa and Screecher as well as trim adjustments. A Haloed moon kept us illuminated all night.

followed by another spectacular sunrise.

By morning we had a good 15 knots on the beam and trucking along between 8 and 9 knots. Some gusts were a bit stronger and the sea was getting a little lumpy but as the breeze was an up forecast bonus, we kept going on past Port Hacking. At Port Jackson it calmed a little under the shelter of the cliffs.


We were entertained by boats everywhere for a fishing competition and the annual Bondi to South Head swim.

The breeze held in to 5 Nm short of Barrenjoey Head and the entrance to Broken Bay. Just as we were contemplating putting the sails away we noticed a Hanse 44 working very hard to catch us. Race on! The wind had headed us and dropped to about 5-7 knots, a bit too light for us. We managed to hold him off and force him below us,out to sea, but after the final tack toward Barrenjoey Head ( my arbitrarily chosen finish line) he snuck through underneath us.

A short motor into Pittwater and a mooring in the Basin as the weekend hordes went home. 200 Nm in 31 hours mostly sailing on a no wind forecast.

Monday May 19

Maintenence 1/2 hour

Water pump in the genset still leaking after resealing it twice since new impeller installed. Decided it must be the rear seal so the whole pump has to come out. 2 Allen keyed bolts to remove so it should be easy. No! Not enough room to insert Allen Key. Need to cut it down to fit. Fortunately I still had my Zyliss Vice onboard.

Before we left, Lea argued that she hadn't seen it used for the last 7 years and as the boat was so heavy it should be left at home. I had quietly put it back in its cupboard and covered it with linen. I knew I'd need it one day and that day was here

I had to cut the Allen key down. Not easy cutting hardened steel with a blunt hacksaw blade! Anyway once done the pump was out in a jiffy. Stripped it down and pulled out spare seal only to find it was the wrong size. Bugger! Rang around and found a Marine Engineering Service who thought the would have one to suit so we motor off 5Nm down Pittwater to Royal Prince Alfred Yachy Club. Went ashore and picked up a couple seals that seemed to match the size of the old one, imperial size seal for an imperial 3/8 inch pump. Then back 5 Nm to the Basin. Installed seal seemed a bit loose on the shaft and a bit tight on the outer. Hmmm! Ah well try it anyway. No good! Double bugger! I need a pair of verniers so I can measure stuff first!!

Beautiful day and we missed out on our walk in the Ku-ring-gai Chase Nation Park.

Again the forecast dictated an early start so early to bed.

Weather is very unusual. Large stationary high off east coast generating West to NW winds. However, temperatures very warm so during day land heats up and seabreeze blocks wind so westerly airflow only re asserts at night as land cools. Hence we are doing more overnighters than ever before.